Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Magna in the Press
March 19, 2020
Magna continues to closely monitor developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) with a focus on the health and safety of our employees and our operations.
We continue to assess our operations on an individual basis and are beginning to temporarily suspend or reduce manufacturing at a number of our divisions around the world, with the exception of China. While specific divisional production schedules vary by product, location and customer, affected facilities are expected to suspend operations with production status reevaluated week-to-week.
Magna continues to follow recommended World Health Organization protocols including as they relate to disinfecting our facilities if required. Additionally, we continue to work closely with local public health authorities and our customers in the various
countries in which we operate, to make sure we protect the health and well-being of our employees and limit the spread of COVID-19.
March 17, 2020
In these unprecedented times, we would like to keep you updated on actions we are taking to help protect your health and safety, which is always our highest priority. We want to be clear that we take the current COVID-19 crisis very seriously and recognize the importance of maintaining open communication with you.
We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and taking recommended and reasonable steps to help prevent its spread. We have a global task force that meets daily, and we have mobilized local task force teams in various locations at the group and divisional
levels to help coordinate and communicate COVID-19 responses plans and policies for our facilities.
PROTOCOLS IN PLACE
If someone who works at one of our plants/locations tests positive for COVID-19 or meets the criteria for isolation, we will:
• Isolate the affected employee if he/she is still on-site
• Investigate who he/she has been in close contact with by conducting a contact tracing exercise.
• In an abundance of caution, these close contact employees will be asked to self-isolate at home for 14 days or until a negative COVID-19 test result from a qualified medical professional is received
• Deep-clean and disinfect areas consistent with best practice guidelines for the local area.
• Communicate the situation to employees at that location
As this matter continues to evolve, it is critical to foster open and ongoing communications, answer questions, and address concerns promptly. We will continue to institute protective measures for our workforce.
ACTIONS MAGNA HAS TAKEN
• Established task forces at local and global levels
• Created and implemented a COVID-19 Health Assessment Tool for Human Resources related concerns to ensure they are promptly elevated and addressed
• Increased cleaning / disinfecting frequency of hard surfaces, common areas, break rooms, restrooms, meeting rooms, etc. Cleaning is now being conducted during each shift
• Closed our facilities to visitors
• Implemented non-business essential travel restrictions through April 30, 2020
• Provided additional supplies of hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes to our facilities
• Provided educational posters for use within our facilities
• Established protocols to address COVID-19 situations
• We continue to review operating patterns to improve social distancing where feasible
• Implemented frequent communication protocols throughout the organization to respond to the rapidly changing situation.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT COVID-19
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Symptoms:
• Fever (100.4°Fahrenheit/38°Celcius or above)
• Difficulty breathing
How It Spreads:
• Spread mainly from person-to-person by droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
• It occurs between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet or 2 meters) for a prolonged period (3 minutes)
How to Protect Yourself and Others:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
• If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together (and between your fingers) until they feel dry
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
• Stay home if you are sick (fever greater than 100.4°Fahrenheit/38°Celcius or above, cough, difficulty breathing), except to get medical care
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or elbow when you cough or sneeze
• Throw used tissues in the trash. Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer
Avoid Close Contact:
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick
• Put a distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community
Rest assured we are taking all the necessary steps recommended by Magna, the CDC, WHO, and local authorities to protect the health and well-being of our employees, to help avoid the spread of the virus, and to keep the plants clean and disinfected.